[BC] While Jeff's away...

JYRussell@academicplanet.com jyrussell
Mon Jul 24 22:27:14 CDT 2006

Ok, I'll ask...
   the unit is a 1996 ND1 1Kw  AM non-d 184' stick, 1400cycles.  Got a
really strong ground system... I'm not looking at the license right now, but
it's got the full complement of both long and interspersed short radials...
it all works out to at least 1 degree apart spacing.

   Traditionally, this rig shows total TPO and reflected power rock steady.
No IBUZ , just straight stereo audio.   About 21amps/71volts.    1Kout,
around 4 watts reflected.
ATU looks fine, no fire ants, or weirdness.

The only fluctuations come about seasonally with ground water saturation...
in the wetter months, the soil conductivity improves significantly, so the
reflected power drops to nearly 0, the transmitter can then start to show an
increase TPO which you'll have to trim out manually until the unit settles
in to the new "wetter" conditions.

Of course, the opposite is true as the soil dries out.

Well... here we go.
   This is NE texas, and we've again had a serious drought. Cracks in the
soil as much as 6 inches across, and you can look down into them several
feet.  Of course this is exposing radials, haven't as yet had the chance to
see if any are broken, but remember, as the soil shrinks, it also shrinks
AWAY from most fixed items which cannot also shrink... so the radials are
likely doing fine... just loose and very dry., at least for the vast
majority, as well as the ones I can reach in a wiggle, I'm sure.

    PROBLEM this year is that I'm running out of 'twiddle room' for the TX.
You can twiddle it all you want... 925 or so is all you're going to get.
Maybe 950. Normally, you can dial it up and down well beyond the +5 -10
percent...
Now, it's just down with a ceiling below 1k.

So....
    I thought before I pulled any of the "sticky dots" off pots inside to
get a bit more range on the front adjust ment, I'd start asking to see how
likely it's simply a matter of soil wetness... or if I need to look
somewhere else.
the reflected power is still low, but I am noticing more +125 spikes on the
mod monitor than is proper, so I've pulled things back a bit coming out of
the processing.

   I've even thought about asking the local FD to start flushing their tanks
on the property (without blasting holes, TYVM!) to see if that helps.

   Think I ought to just leave it be?  If it continues to drop it will be
too low for the license.

Jason