[BC] Making engineering pay

Chuck Lakaytis chuck
Mon Jul 24 14:25:14 CDT 2006

I recently had a station that went off the air.  The little FM had been
perking along for years until, one day it stopped perking".

In this case it was an idiot general manager that tried to "save money".

One of the PA's died.  He jacked up the power level of the remaining PA to
make power.  The reject load then died.  Then the remaining PA died.

The cause?  He thought I had a maintenance schedule that required too much
time and money.  I had a schedule for them that required the use of high
effiency pleated filters, changed monthly in the winter and weekly in the
summer.

He thought once a month was ok and that furnace filters were ok.  After all,
"I am a ham and know about those things".

More and more, GM's in radio are morons.

Chuck Lakaytis
Director of Engineering
Alaska Public Broadcasting, Inc.
Anchorage, Alaska