[BC] Making engineering pay

Kevin C. Kidd, CSRE kkidd
Mon Jul 24 09:46:19 CDT 2006

Chuck,

It doesn't really matter.  The company has to get a
substantial portion for equipment and overhead.  I own my
own business, have 1 part time engineering contractor and 5
part time general engineering labor contractors and charge
$65-75 per man hour.  A portion goes in my pocket.  The
rest keeps the lights on, the insurance paid, equipment up
to date and calibrated.  Thankfully, I have built my
business over 23 years and have no business related debt.

Lots of good mechanics and engineers have gone out on their
own only to discover that billing $125/hour sounds great
until you start paying the notes, buying test equipment and
paying the bills.

When I started doing engineering work, an engineer/2-way
guy in this area charged $15 per hour.  I was charging
$35.  He had a small amount of test equipment.  I had a
small amount of test equipment.  He barely lived off of his
labor rate.  I had other income and lived great on mine AND
started slowly upgrading test equipment.  He told me I was
charging too much.  I actually heard him say that if he
could make the same money engineering radio stations as if
he were working a full time job then he was happy.  He
failed to keep his test equipment and transportation
up-to-date and eventually faded into bankruptcy.  The last
time I talked to him he was driving a 15 year old Datsun
mosquito fogger, owned a voltmeter and was looking for
work.

Ron has been gone for years and I have more work than I can
do sometimes.   I am also contemplating an across the board
rate increase.

Later,

At 08:34 AM 7/24/2006, cldube wrote

How much does the tech actually make and how much goes to
his firm?

Chuck Dube

Message: 29