[BC] Making engineering pay

Mike McCarthy Towers
Mon Jul 24 07:20:51 CDT 2006

I've been watching this rant over the weekend.

My rates reflect/reflected what the market bears and takes into account all
the good customer stuff as well as extended projects and/or consistent
work.  I didn't/don't undercharge the market and there were/are guys which
made/make more than I did/do...which is fine with me.  We were/are all busy
and I see no need to try and undercut them. I was making a decent living at
my then hourly rate before going back to the corporate world.  I still
do...on the side. (FWIW, my rates are going up at the end of the year for
the itinerant client.)

The biggest issue of all which everyone seems to have missed here is really
simple.  What is YOUR time worth after all the expenses are paid? If you
set your prices at the rate of the other cheaper guy(s), there is a clear
impression your quality of service and value is at the same level of the
other cheaper guy(s).  Regardless of  what the the other guys charge, YOUR
time/rate has value which while impacted by the others should not precisely
determine your hourly rate, nor your quality of work provided.

It's marketing and backing up the message with better
production/service.  That would also include demeanor, appearance,
professionalism, achieving  mission directives/goals in the shortest time,
etc. All the things which would/should set YOU apart from the other guys
charging less.  Make it apparent why your services are the better
value...even if the hourly rate is higher. Ask the customer if insurance is
important to them.  The cheaper guy may not carry liability insurance.  Do
you?  For a good policy...the premium is about $0.75-$1/hr. for FT work of
one guy, including good test gear.

As an aside, I have noted the guys which tend to charge less also talk
more....at the job site. They're more negative in opinion and in general
carry a narrower and less optimistic perspective. You're impression of
value to quality of service is reflected in less blather and more elbows
flying when on site as well as wide view objectivity.  Managers see
that...it's really obvious to them. Get in, get the mission accomplished,
and move on..without harping on the little things.

While there will always be the guy who tries to drag the market down to get
busy, if the rest of the market follows, everyone looses.  Including the
stations since the quality of service will decrease and the morale will falter.

MM

At 09:51 PM 7/23/2006 -0400, Mark Humphrey wrote