[BC] Modulation Monitor - a necessity?...

Robert Meuser Robertm
Sun Jul 23 12:33:55 CDT 2006

Burt I. Weiner wrote:
> I also believe in having properly operating modulation monitors at all
> stations I have ever been responsible for.  I no longer allow myself to
> be in the position of being the responsible person.  Now they can either
> take my advice or leave it.  Most take it seriously.

That blinky light thing is good for CYA, assuming the monitor is properly
calibrated. I have seen stations where the mod monitor, FCC certification and
all, was past being ready for a museum. A scope would be much better.

The other problem is that a mod monitor does not show WHAT you are modulating. I
put a brand new station on - all new properly installed top of the line gear,
etc. The mod monitors (1 Belar and 1 TFT)both showed we were banging out 125%
plus. Problem was the station sounded horrible on air, much worse than the 40
year old site it was replacing. The scope showed a different story. Ultimately
we found a lot of RF feedback induced from STL coax thanks to what we saw on the
scope.

In trapezoidal mode, you see a lot of things the TX is doing that a mod monitor
will never show.

> Using a scope is good - if you know what you're doing.  You can't simple
> turn it on every once in a while to see if you're legal other than for
> negative peaks for AM and depending on some scopes I've seen pressed
> into that service, that's even questionable.

No you rack mount a new scope suited to the job and connected to a proper RF
sampling system. I usually have all monitoring equipment, mod monitor, scope,
distortion analyzer, monitor amp, etc on a separately activated circuit. These
devices are always off if no one is in the building and always on when they are.

>However, I still stand by
> my earlier comment about (not) being able to resolve within a dB or so
> of positive peaks or FM deviation.  I've been there and fought that
> battle.  As you know, at the top end a single dB is about 10 percent.
> Not so many years ago we didn't have a cap at +125 percent and since
> there was no limit on positive peaks the only concern were the negative
> peaks.

The thing here is the governing authority WILL be using a scope for these
things. I would think you'd like to see things as they see it.

> When the FCC relaxed many of the rules that move was misread by many
> that certain, old aspects of compliance were no longer an issue.
> Nothing could be farther from the truth.  Almost all technical operating
> tolerances are still in place and we are as responsible to operate
> within tolerance as we ever were.  How we achieve that is now left up to
> the licensee.

True, see above.

> As far as no one being concerned about positive peaks on AM, that
> reminds me of the conversation a few weeks ago about breaking the
> rules.  I like to play by the rules - in all aspects of life.  I'm
> certainly not saying that by not having a modulation monitor you are not
> in compliance it's just that those who choose not to have one have
> chosen to go a different route for monitoring than I would.

A very large number of stations that have new up to date mod monitors will show
the positive meter slamming 130% pretty hard. I think 145% possibly the industry
standard.

I think the point is that a station with no mod monitor (especially AM) can do a
more than adequate job of staying compliant with a relatively inexpensive scope.