[BC] 30/30 Lightning safety rule.

Thomas G. Osenkowsky tosenkowsky
Sun Jul 23 11:44:43 CDT 2006

> Tuned to a weak or absent signal at the low-end of the band, a pocket
> transistor AM radio works very well as a "quick & dirty" storm detector.
You can hear
> the static crashes well in advance of the storm's arrival.
> Willie...

I recall reading an article in BM/E (IIRC) about an AM station
that routinely experienced equipment damage from lightning
strikes to the AC mains. The CE used a radio as Willie described,
connected a rectifier/filter across the speaker and used that to
trigger a relay to transfer the tx site mains to the generator.
No more lightning damage.

The CE was Ed Buterbaugh (sp?) and the station was CKLW (in
its rock days).

Tom Osenkowsky, CPBE