[BC] WLAC and WRR "Kats Karavan"

DHultsman5@aol.com DHultsman5
Sun Jul 23 06:31:39 CDT 2006

In a message dated 7/22/2006 11:23:17 PM Central Daylight Time,
miltron at mindspring.com writes:

Me  too!  For many years I never missed "boogie, blues, and barrelhouse  on
> Wednesday and Saturday night" on the Randy Record Hi-Lite Show  hosted by
> Gene Nobles.  I did a phoner with him at the time of  his retirement.  Stir
> your memories of REAL personality radio  at
>
>  http://www.geocities.com/~jimlowe/wlac/wlacdex.html

**************************

The jimlowe on the url is Old Jim Lowe from WRR-AM Dallas.  For many  many
years between 10 pM and 12 PM the program Kats Karovan was done by Jim Lowe  via
tape recording.  Lightning Hopkins, Muddy Waters and many others along  with
some tunes that crossed over into the Top 40 charts evetually were  played.
The program was very popular, to the extent that when ever a  sporting event
went past 10 PM the small audience would start calling wanting to  know what
happened and where was Kats Karovan.   Jim Lowe also changed  his style suring
the program.  This was still block programming on a middle  of the road station
which was in the top 5 AM stations in Dallas, past the  mid '60's.

Kats Karovan was written up in Billboard Magazine many times.  Another  thing
that WRR-AM did for many years was the Library of Laughs on the 45 minute
mark a comedy selection from albums, live performances and old radio programs
were presented most were around 5 minutes.  Justin Wilson, Dave Gardner,  morey
Amsterdam, Rusty Warren,  Bette Middler and Bob Newhart, Carl  Reiner and Mel
Brooks  many funny bits all rotating abound.

One of my first jobs there in 1962 was dubb an album and removing the  hells,
dams and other profanity.  I taped at 15 ips and used a splicing  block to
censor the comments.  If it was a part of the joke, we would put a  beep.

Dave