[BC] The value of a radio engineer

Kent Winrich kwinrich
Sat Jul 22 16:25:22 CDT 2006

Because a lot of management do not see the VALUE of a good
engineer.  And really, do you want to work for one of those?  They
are the ones that are going to pay for it in the long run.  They are
the ones that have an incorrect business plan!

If they think they can concentrate on only sales, and forget about
the product they are "producing" they are not good
managers.  Yep!  There are PLENTY of them out there.  Not in just
radio either.

The big difference between the mechanic and radio engineers is the
following:  The mechanic is the reason the customer comes to the
facility.  We dont see too many customer coming to a radio station
paying us so they can have their radio.  In many GMs eyes, we are a
necessary expense.

But during my recent job change I made it quite clear that radio is a
4 legged stool.... Sales, Programming, Engineering and
Promotions.  You take away ONE of those, the chair falls.  If you
think you can run a radio station without engineering being as
important as the other departments (take away one of the legs) then I
have no interest in joining your group.  Too bad my past employer
didnt realize that!

My present GM tells me (and I AGREE!!) that the good people will
chose where THEY want to go.  The company doesnt chose them.

I guess it really is time to make my TShirts:

No Engineer, No Signal
No Signal, No Sales
No Sales, No Paycheck
No Paycheck, No Job