[BC] Why One answer

Dana Puopolo dpuopolo
Fri Jul 21 15:33:50 CDT 2006

But you can live in Brooklyn, the Bronx, Queens, Suffolk County, New Jersey,
etc. for much less then Manhattan prices. Parking wouldn't be an issue then
either.  My wife was recently looking for housing in Secaucus, NJ and found
many apts. for well under $1500.00. That's half of what you claim when parking
is factored in.

-D

------ Original Message ------
From: Robert Meuser <Robertm at broadcast.net>
Subject: Re: [BC] Why  One answer

Ok, housing is about half than in New York City. Gas is over $3 per
gallon here as well and it will cost you another $500 a month for
parking. There are a number of jobs in broadcasting that pay under $90K
including almost all union positions in NYC. This would translate to
less than the $45K in the market you used as an example.

Dana Puopolo wrote:

>Not always.
>
>There are plenty of smaller 'boutique' markets where housing costs are WAY
>more then salaries.
>
>As an example, I was offered a job in one of these markets. It's located 30
>miles north of San Francisco.  They offered me $45K for four class B FM's
and
>a 5 kW directional AM.
>
>A one bedroom apartment here costs about $1200.00 a month.
>
>Gas in CA is now about $3.50 a gallon.
>
>It's impossible to live there on what they pay!
>
>Besides, AS I SAID, the plumber's and electrician and car mechanics' rates
>aren't tied to the: "size of the market". We do the SAME type of work they
do.
>I even believe that our kind of work is more specialized (example: we are
also
>expected to be experts at computers and IT).
>
>Did you not read what my contractor friend said? He's 28, self trained and
>makes over twice what any of us here do!
>
>The problem is, WE let it get this way.  We allowed our salaries to stagnate
>while our workload increased, while the plumbers and mechanics and
contractors
>didn't!  The car dealer lists his repair rate as 90 dollars an hour. Take it
>or leave it. Same with the plumber, electrician, maintanance worker and
floor
>scrubber. Take it or leave it.
>

>Now, how do we fix it??
>
>-D