[BC] LPFM vs. AM on FM Translators

Peter Moncure pmoncure
Fri Jul 21 12:08:45 CDT 2006

Willie wrote:
> A nice idea, but in our case, it wouldn't help. WTWP's signal, typically,
> ranges from 1-5mv/m during summer nights. It can peak around 10. In winter, it's
> much higher, averaging 5-10, with peaks to 20. I've seen it happen many times!

May I point out that the highest land value for WTWP at night, which
occurs on the barrier islands west of Elizabeth City, NC, is predicted
by FCC to be only 1.77 mV/M?  I doubt the proponents of IBUZ have taken
real skywave values into account.  (you can see the picture at
http://radiosoft.com/WTWPNight.jpg)  As for your math guru questions
(I'm not one, but there are several working here...), here's the scoop.
If you consider usable signal cochannel to be 20:1 (debatable), and
there's a 5 or 10 mV/M interferer, you would need 100 or 200 mV/M.
These contour distances (assuming an omnidirectional pattern) are 572
and 335 meters, respectively.  At 5 kW, they are 1981 and 1281 meters,
respectively.  With a mile at 1609.3 meters, you're a good guesser.
However, I've measured quite a few radials down by the coast, and I'd
say your conductivity is no more than 0.3 mV/M in most places, if that.

--
Peter Moncure, RadioSoft