[BC] X-lators for Daytimers (WAS:NAB Newsletter)

Paul Smith W4KNX paul
Fri Jul 21 10:11:30 CDT 2006

Speaking of Cuban interference, there are at least a couple of Florida AM's
operating under STA's since the mid 80's because of Cuban interference.
WDAE formerly WSUN 620 St. Petersburg operates with a little over 10KW, even
though the database shows 5kw.  Not bad cause the Cuban interference went
away over 20 years ago.  I think WIOD 610 in Miami is the other.  There may
be more Miami stations.

Paul Smith
W4KNX
Sarasota, FL

-----Original Message-----
From: broadcast-bounces at radiolists.net
[mailto:broadcast-bounces at radiolists.net]On Behalf Of Bailey, Scott
Sent: Friday, July 21, 2006 8:04 AM
To: Broadcasters' Mailing List
Subject: RE: [BC] X-lators for Daytimers (WAS:NAB Newsletter)

  Bill Barry the former owner of WCRT (was WAMB), told me that he wrote
a letter ever day to the commission to persuade them to give him a FM
translator at night, due to the Cuban interference. This was mid to late
80's.  He was granted 75 watts on 106.7. Dickie Brothers Broadcasting
(now Cumulus) had an application for a full Class A on that channel.
When Lou Dickie fired up on that channel, Bill was told to turn it off.
Bill went back to the commission, pulled some strings, and got 98.7 for
his nighttime translator.
 I was told that Bill had political pull in the FM Branch of the
Commission. It's kind of funny that down the road from that FM
translator, about 15 miles or so, he & his daughter in law has majority
interest in a full Class A (WANT-FM), on 98.9. He and a few other put
that station on in the mid 90's.

Scott