[BC] Real cases of IBOC interference wanted for research

David L. Hershberger dave
Wed Jul 19 21:21:02 CDT 2006

Hi Doug,

My zip code is 95959 and your program reports that KKOH's daytime signal is
2.94 mv/m. BUT, I'm actually about 6 miles east of town up in Tahoe National
Forest (closer to Reno). MWViewer reports that my daytime signal strength
should be 3.27 mv/m. That's based on my actual location rather than my zip
code.

Similarly, my signal strength for KNCO's nighttime pattern should be13.2
mv/m, according to MWViewer.

As for KXNT's nulls, Paul Smith's comments are germane and correct. The
nulls of a DA are only at the carrier frequency. It's not reasonable to
expect an AM array to maintain its null depth over three channels of
bandwidth. And that's a huge problem for AM IBOC and it explains why KNCO
gets trashed by IBOC. I don't think there's anything wrong with KXNT's
facilities. I think it's an IBOC problem, not a KXNT problem.

MWViewer reports that KCBC (770, IBOC affecting KKOH 780) should be 349 uV/m
here. But their IBOC sidebands sound disproportionately loud. Again, I think
it is DAs not working over three channels of bandwidth.

Dave