[BC] Mod Monitors...

Burt I. Weiner biwa
Wed Jul 19 20:46:10 CDT 2006

   I think I may not have made my point very well.
   Yes,  it's  true  that  you  are  not  required  to  have a modulation
   monitor.   The  rule requiring that you have one was dropped some time
   ago but you are still  continuously responsible for compliance.
   Many  times I've used a scope to set up a station's modulation when no
   monitor  was  available  and  there  was  a  question about modulation
   levels.   Any  decent  oscilloscope will certainly tell you if you are
   cutting carrier.  The problem comes when you try and set your positive
   peaks  to the legal maximum of  125%.  If you have a scope with a peak
   reading  digital  display indication then you can probably come pretty
   close  depending  on  how  well  you  calibrate  for  a zero modulated
   carrier.
   What  I have done when it has been necessary to look at positive peaks
   with  a  scope  is  to  calibrate  +/- two major divisions for carrier
   without  any  modulation,  turn  the horizontal sweep off and move the
   remaining  vertical  trace  just next to the center vertical reference
   graticule on the screen.  Momentarily kill the input and make sure the
   spot  is right on the center horizontal reference line,  This gives me
   the  best  way  to  visually look at peak positive modulation using an
   oscilloscope.    Each  minor  mark  above  carrier  reference  is  20%
   modulation.   One  major division above carrier is 100% modulation and
   one minor division above that would be 120%.  The problem is, how well
   did you calibrate and how well can you resolve the trace.  How good is
   the  focus  and  astigmatism  of  the spot.  You may think this is nit
   picking  but  my  comments  personally come from desiring accuracy.  I
   highly   recommend  to  my  clients  that  they  maintain  a  properly
   calibrated modulation monitor.  It's good, responsible engineering.
   The  issue  may very well come home to roost if there is ever an issue
   with the FCC over your modulation levels.
   Burt