[BC] From NAB Newsletter

Bailey, Scott SBailey
Wed Jul 19 07:04:28 CDT 2006

Willie,
   I think the whole idea is to do away with analog AM. This will force
the listeners of WFIF to buy an IBOC Radio to hear you.  I'm sure by the
time this happens, you will be able to get to Wal-Mart and by a IBOC AM
Radio for about 20 bucks.
   Also, I've scan read this Willie, but I hear the NAB wants to see us
daytimers get FM Translators to cover what the little area we can't
cover at night. I know your not suppose to be on at all a night, but
don't worry, if this gets pushed through, WFIF will get a FM translator
for nighttime operation.
  This rule should apply to "Stand Alone AM Daytimers", like mine and
yours, not AM's with sister FM's!

Scott

If about 50% of all AM stations light-up with IBUZ, and it gets 24 hour
auth,
they will. Analog AM will be utterly useless at that point. The
interference
will be absolutely unbearable! Also, from what I'm reading lately, IBUZ
doesn't survive skywave very well, (if at all) so once you're outside
the stations
NIF you've got zilch.

The best possible solution is the least likely to be implemented: drop
TV
channels 5 & 6, and extend the FM band downward. Assign freq's to all of
the
"smaller" AM's so they can serve their respective markets 24/7 with
equivalent
coverage areas to their old AM. (and add FM IBOC) Then leave only the
Clears &
big Regionals to populate the AM band, doing what it does best- long
distance
coverage. Best solution... Least likely.

Willie...