[BC] From NAB Newsletter

Rich Wood richwood
Tue Jul 18 21:26:03 CDT 2006

------ At 09:51 PM 7/18/2006, WFIFeng at aol.com wrote: -------

>The best possible solution is the least likely to be implemented: drop TV
>channels 5 & 6, and extend the FM band downward. Assign freq's to all of the
>"smaller" AM's so they can serve their respective markets 24/7 with
>equivalent
>coverage areas to their old AM. (and add FM IBOC) Then leave only
>the Clears &
>big Regionals to populate the AM band, doing what it does best- long distance
>coverage. Best solution... Least likely.

Not gonna happen. If I recall correctly, the 600-800 replacement
figure came from Sound & Vision Magazine and is generally considered
a conservative figure based on twice the population or each person
owning at least two receivers. Look around your house and count the
number of AM/FM receivers you have. More accurately, there are
between 5 and 12 receivers of various kinds in nearly every home. I'm
willing to underestimate the original 1.5 billion figure just to make
the cheerleaders happy.

The fix is in. The fact that the FCC delayed dealing with the issue
tells me the manufacturer is in charge and wants to milk a little
more cash before AM stations discover what nighttime operation will be like.

The gummint is chomping at the bit to auction off those TV channels.
Radio will never go there.

Rich