[BC] Modualtion Monitors (do we need them?)

Thomas G. Osenkowsky tosenkowsky
Tue Jul 18 14:25:33 CDT 2006

> I have a Fluke, Pocket Scope" to see modulation.  Oh by the way, how
> many AM's do you take care of that use the BE AM1A.  That has some kind
> of mod meter on it.

The B.E. audio level metering takes audio samples from the exciter
board and stereo board for L-R. These are NOT demodulated
indications as you would observe on a modulation monitor. Many
factors, including WHERE the modulation is sampled (this is very
important for other than flat antenna loads). For mismatched loads
a combined current sample 90 degrees away from a voltage sample
is the most accurate RF sample for total amplitude modulation.
Some FM exciters such as the Harris MS-15, MX-15 and
SuperCiter have FP composite level indications.

Tom Osenkowsky, CPBE