[BC] Public File

Tom Bosscher tom
Mon Jul 17 09:44:24 CDT 2006

John Buffaloe wrote:
> The problem is they won't do it.  They'll delegate to an assistant or
> someone who doesn't understand the requirements.  I took over the files my
> last five years for Jeff Pilot in San Diego when I discovered what a mess
> they were.  Also, corporate counsel would always send any legal documents to
> me for inclusion in the file, so I just believed it was best if I handled it
> personally.  No it's not a requirement in the rules, but I wouldn't want to
> get gigged and then have the GM looking at me because the files weren't
> right.

	John, then it looks like the corporate culture of that
operation is different from most that I have observed in my
30+ years. I have never run into a station yet, where the GM
believes the engineer or chief operator should be in charge
of the PI file. It just is not the norm. And in way too many
cases, it ends up in never never land.

	In my case, I started to clean it up, paused and said "Tom,
this is more responsibility, and you should be compensated".
My GM's and the VP of broadcasting could not agree fast
enough. So I now have the big bull eyes on my back. But
there is enough information out on the Net for anyone to
make a clean file. As stated, Ken does a great job, and he
stated xactly how to do it in Barry's Radio Guide, where you
can buy the back issues CD.

	I take care of the Zeeland, Michigan Moody station on the
side, and I put my interpretation of what the PI file should
be in there. Moody asked me permission to use it as a
corporate standard. One of their stations got inspected and
the FCC even stated that they never saw a PI file that had
the items in the same sequence as their check off list.
Which is amazing, because it is not hard to do right. Just
details.

 >"Don't worry...
 >The FCC is about to eliminate the public file requirement.
 >Just watch...."

	I'm worried about that one. Yes, they'll take away item
"A", and institute items "B and C".

Tom Bosscher