[BC] Public File

Tom Bosscher tom
Sun Jul 16 19:32:37 CDT 2006

Paul Christensen wrote:

 >By far, the most prominent problem I've seen with respect to meeting the
 >public file requirements is that the responsibility is not adequately
delegated,
 >monitored, nor used as a performance-based metric during employee
 >evaluation reviews.   Since the file subject-matter spans several
internal
 >departments, responsibility for the relevant sections should be clearly
 >defined by station and/or group leadership.

    By almost anyones observance, taking care of the PI file is the
responsibility of the GM. At my operation, I found the interest to be a
wee bit lacking, so over a period of time, I talked to the GMs involved
with each station, and I then approached my VP of broadcasting, whereby
I became appointed to be in charge and responsible for the PI file,  For
a fee per station. I believe this is an area that many engineers could
earn a stipend with their organization. I made the file with the 13
required tabs (for NC E's), and I have a very methodical sequence to
review it. I had our web guy make up a hidden web page that has an on
line form for our announcers and new people to fill out the FCC required
items (fill in the blanks folks), they hit send, and that message gets
sent to my "PI" email address. Once a month I compile the items. This
works great for many of the "Programs and Issues" part of the file.

    The other adviced mention so far is very good, esp this stuff from
Paul. And it doesn't cost $ 250 an hour!

    Tom Bosscher