[BC] Re: So how did we miss this one?

R J Carpenter rcarpen
Fri Jul 14 13:48:40 CDT 2006

Am I __way__ off base in thinking it was Microsoft which was asking
for the 24 GHz allocation?

When in the USAF eons ago I worked for one of the "imported" German
scientists.  He pointed out that the US chose 24 GHz for a radar band
not realizing it was a water-absorption frequency. Range was POOR.  He
said the Germans knew about the water problem, but couldn't make
reliable equipment nearly that high in frequency.

His last project while in Germany during WW2 was to communicate with
Japan by moon reflection on S-band.  He was glad the war ended since
the Germans didn't have adequate transmitter tubes and the project was
doomed to fail.

He was eventually Engineering VP of Comsat.  Whenever I pass the Cesar
Pelli designed Comsat Labs building I think of Siegfried .. the design
has his preferences written all over it.    It's now for sale and may
be torn down.

bob c.