[BC] EAS calling

Rich Wood richwood
Thu Jul 13 11:39:06 CDT 2006

------ At 12:11 PM 7/13/2006, Barry Mishkind wrote: -------

>         As it turns out, there apparently was
>         a warning later in the day for
>         a tornado that levelled a building in
>         Westchester County, NY...
>
>         HOWEVER, ... and I am surprised not one
>         of you in NY have noticed the use of EAS.
>         Perhaps you rely on the Westchester
>         government site?

This has been a strange few days. Normally my weather receiver is
yelping often when thunderstorms occur. We've had very severe storms
including a tornado a little North of me. My local NBC affiliate
actually broke into a commercial to warn of storm and wind activity.
Not a peep out of the receiver. A few minutes ago they did their
weekly test. The receiver is working. That's two tornados within 100
miles in a couple of days. Isn't EAS often triggered by the Weather Service?

>Apparently, however, Westchester is running on a modified IBOC
>system, with a slight delay.

Is that the 8 day delay we've heard so much about?

Rich