[BC] EAS calling the sailing vessel Kirstin, please call Channel 16

Alan Alsobrook radiotech
Wed Jul 12 18:15:28 CDT 2006

To me that alert was a bit out of bounds for EAS usage, I'm sure emails
and phone calls are flying up in that area.

First of all we all know that if the alert is not received on the media
you are tuned to you will not be made aware of the emergency. This is
the reason that broadcasters are a very important and integral part of
the EAS system.

As for a separate channel for EAS alerts, That is a very important idea,
and has been pushed for by many of us who do work on EAS. The push is to
get background channels so that emergency information can be passed to
broadcast stations without having to put it on air. Once the information
arrives then the stations can make a responsible decision as how to pass
on the information. Options include, regular EAS alert, news flash,
operator mentions, or nothing at all.

Errors will happen from time to time, and it's important that we learn
from them, to help prevent future false/improper activation's. Hopefully
the Coast Guard will know which buttons to not push when looking for a
missing vessel in the future.

--
Alan Alsobrook CSRE AMD CBNT
St. Augustine Fl. 32086 904-829-8885