[BC] EAS calling the sailing vessel Kirstin, please call Channel 16

WFIFeng@aol.com WFIFeng
Wed Jul 12 15:46:29 CDT 2006

In a message dated 07/12/2006 4:04:37 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
wirelessmedia at gmail.com writes:

> http://musicradio.computer.net/wwwboard/messages/290519.html

We received that alert from one of the stations that we monitor for EAS.
(WEZN) When I got into the studio, I replayed the message but the audio portion
was truncated. All I knew was that it had something to do with a boat. It was
sent as a Civil Emergency Message, of all things!

We later got an e-mail from one of the honchos, somewhere, that it wasn't
supposed to be handled that way. The boat actually turned up safe and sound in a
nearby harbor, where the pilot "parked" it for the night. This alert had also
gone out on a bunch of TV & Cable systems, as well.

Willie...