[BC] Old abandoned AM stations and Art Deco Buildings

David Reaves david
Tue Jul 11 21:55:24 CDT 2006

Oh, dear!
My first radio station!
That building once housed WGGG, 1230, which was the dominant station
in the market in the mid 60s-70s.

The tower was plain old red and white, unguyed and fed by a slant
wire when I worked there in the early 70s with Greg Strickland. WGGG
was his first CE job. Maybe he'll have a comment.

I would hazard <g> a guess that the present paint scheme is FCC/FAA
non-compliant.

Unfortunately for WGGG, its east Gainesville location was opposite
that of the population growth, which was westward. The present 1230
transmitter site is quite a bit west of town.

Kind Regards,
David