[BC] WETT and True Confessions (Cowboy)

brew@theMode.com brew
Sun Jul 9 13:10:35 CDT 2006

Cowboy....

> In the context as presented.

Ah, well, in that case, let me point out I've NEVER cheated to gain an
unfair advantage over another station.  Even when I falsified logs in 1971
it was a matter of convenience and the rules I violated were removed
altogether a few years later.  (But what I did was *still* wrong!)

I've never purposely overmodulated or exceeded power limits.  More than
once when a PD or jock wanted to always maintain 104.9% of licensed power
all the time I've pointed out that the difference between 90% and 105% of
licensed power is hardly even discernable.  It's only seven/tenths of a
dB, not enough to even make a difference.  Not to mention that even though
the limit is 105%, ALWAYS running close to it as a matter of course is
frowned upon.

In my experience the engineers of competing stations tend to work
together, not cheat each other unfairly.  They even lend parts back and
forth in emergencies, etc.  Sometimes even the PDs and salesmen work
together, especially if the stations aren't head to head competitors.

And in the long run that's best for everybody.

brew - Bruce Schiller at CBS-TV, NY Master Control Maintenance and WA2ZST