[BC] DRM vs. IBOC

Rich Wood richwood
Fri Jul 7 10:10:28 CDT 2006

------ At 10:06 AM 7/7/2006, Powell E. Way III W4OPW wrote: -------

>But it has one of the very serious downfalls that also
>plagues IBOC. It requires a strong pristine signal to
>decode. ANY analog interference kills it or if you
>don't have a superb signal, it drops out.

Who came up with the story that digital was an improvement over
analog? As an analog signal diminishes the noise increases but it's
still, very often, listenable. A digital signal either disappears, as
with satellite under bridges and trees, or with hybrid IBUZ reverts
to analog. Secondaries die. Since many owners won't be converting to
IBUZ, analog will always be with us.

One of the reasons for digital, allegedly, is to correct for less
than pristine signals. How do we find pristine signals when the
digital is 1% of the analog power? My experience with an IBUZ
receiver was that mode switching happened often in mountainous New
England. Will I have to move back to New York where I had a direct
view of Empire to find such a signal? Or to one of the plains states?

Will I only be able to listen to digital only IBUZ in a stopped
vehicle? I'd hate to be the Emperor's tailor.

Rich