[BC] Black Box circuits

Dana Puopolo dpuopolo
Thu Jul 6 19:34:00 CDT 2006

I built a bunch of similar clippers back in 1980-90. They had two schottky
diodes (at the time Radio Shack actually sold HP Schottky diodes for 79 cents
each!). A 5K trimpot fed the diodes (wiper connected to the diodes). This
sourced the diodes at a fairly high impedance, resulting in a softer clip. To
raise the output level up, I used  a single opamp (first a TLO-71, later an
AD-712. There was an output trim control that was in the feedback loop of the
op amp. The prototype used two 9 volt batteries for power. Later ones ran off
a 12 volt AC wall wart (with two half wave rectifiers to make the + and -
voltages).

This clipper kicked ass - especially if you put a Sta Max or MSI (hard)
clipper after it.

About 1-2 db of soft into about 1/2 db of hard clipping really did the trick!

Grady built a similar type of clipper except he drove the diodes from the nose
of two opamps and varied their bias via the opamps to get the desired clipping
depth. It was a really sharp clip!

-D