[BC] Radiators...

Burt I. Weiner biwa
Thu Jul 6 12:52:03 CDT 2006

Harold,

For the most part we've discussed intentional and unintentional
radiators.  As you point out there is also a definition of an
"incidental Radiator".  In the EMI/EMC world, the Incidental Radiator
does fall into the "Unintentional Radiator" world.  It basically
comes down to two types of devices, one that is supposed to radiate
and one that is not supposed to radiate (but does).  One other type
of device would be ISM or Part 18.  This would include medical
devices such as Diathermy (which I might add really help
tendonitis!)  In the past there has always been the attitude, even
within the Commission, that once electrical noise from motors,
switches and even arcing types of devices becomes RF, it typically
falls somewhere into Part 15.  "Good Engineering Practices" has
always been open to differing opinions.

Now, if you really want to torture yourself take a look at this:
http://www.washingtonwatchdog.org/documents/fr/02/jy/10/fr10jy02-16.html

Burt

At 08:29 AM 7/6/2006, you wrote:
>From: "Harold Hallikainen" <harold at hallikainen.com>
>Subject: Re: [BC] Is Power Line Noise Illegal?...
>

> > If you look at the rules regarding Part 15 and specifically,
> > "Unintentional Radiators" and depending on the field intensity of the
> > interference, the answer may very well be a definite "yes".  Power
> > lines can easily fall into the category of Unintentional
> > Radiators.  That's really the whole issue surrounding BPL. The power
> > lines are supposed to be conductors (of BPL), not radiators.
> >
> > Burt
>

>I think BPL would be an unintentional radiator since it intentionally
>generates RF, but does not intentionally radiate it. Power line noise,
>however, I think would be an incidental radiator, since the generation of
>the RF is not intentional. See
>http://www.hallikainen.com/FccRules/2006/15/3/ and
>http://www.hallikainen.com/FccRules/2006/15/13/ .
>
>For incidental radiators, there are no solid radiation limits. Instead,
>"Manufacturers of these devices shall employ good engineering practices to
>minimize the risk of harmful interference."
>
>Harold

Burt I. Weiner Associates
Broadcast Technical Services
Glendale, California  U.S.A.