[BC] GE Superadio III vs. IBOC hash

Robert Meuser Robertm
Wed Jul 5 16:23:56 CDT 2006

Bailey, Scott wrote:

>   Arguments like these are why AM is just about dead. Nobody can agree
>on anything, including everyone on this list! I can say that AM Stereo
>would have been some sort of a savior, as far back as 1961, when the
>commission allowed stereo on FM, but they took the attitude with AM, "if
>it ain't broke, no sense in trying to fix it". But now, it's way too
>late! How stupid could they have been!

The FCC did not approve AM stereo at that time because they wanted to
give FM and advantage.  FM  had no listeners at the time.

>   Now, we here in the US have made a big mess of AM, and we now tend to
>argue on how to clean it up. One problem is too many people have way too
>much money tied up in their facilities and won't change to help the
>masses come back to AM. Niche Programming is NOT the answer!

AM is about the same in many parts of the world - nearly dead in Europe
for decades. AM is not a religion it is a means of communications. I
know (and work with) a number of  programmers (owners) who do extremely
well with niche programming. In one case the low powered 5 khz audio AM
pulls more than the co-owned FMs which are mainstream.  You can make
money with almost any station if you think outside the box.