[BC] Anti-Virus programs

Chris Gebhardt chris
Wed Jul 5 14:48:29 CDT 2006

Tom Bosscher wrote:
>     So I figure, there hasn't been enough controversy on this board lately.
>
>     So it goes like this:
>
> We have been using Norton AV for quite a while. While our BE AudioVault
> servers and main workstations do not see the Internet, and hence have no
> Anti-V, we have some 30+ cpus that have dual NICs (two networks, one is
> what we call Broadcast Audio, ie, BE AV, and the other is called
> Broadcast Internet) that do talk to the BE av systems, and look at the
> Internet. They have been protected in the past with Norton.
>
>     For many reasons, we are looking at an alternative to Norton. Two
> systems, AVG and Panda seem to be making decent headway. Does anyone on
> the list have any success or failure stories with these two, or is there
> any even better alternative ? (Other than going to Mac/Linux!)

My experience with AVG from Grisoft has been excellent.

In the office, we run the commercial versions.   I recommend the freebie
to anybody who qualifies for it and can do with a little less customization.

The one thing I recommend for ALL anti-virus products is to turn off the
infernal "scan outgoing email" option.   That always leads to problems,
and does little more than advertise whoever's antivirus software you are
using.   Think about it.... why would you need to scan an email you just
wrote if you are scanning your inbound email & you have the scanner
running all the time in the background.  It's from the redundancy
redundancy department.  </rant>

Chris Gebhardt
VIRTBIZ Internet Services
chris at virtbiz.com | (866) 4-VIRTBIZ