[BC] Carribean 200 kW. AM on 1605 kHz

DHultsman5@aol.com DHultsman5
Wed Jul 5 08:31:53 CDT 2006

In a message dated 7/4/2006 12:38:54 PM Central Daylight Time,
JKi5384486 at aol.com writes:

The  Caribbean Beacon built by Bill Kitchen, then sold to Dr. Gene Scott ran

a 50 kw Nautel on 1610.  That being said, seldom in the past few  years do
they ever sound like they are running more than 5kw.
ZNS-1 at 1540 in Nassau, Bahamas has a 50kw Nautel.  Of late  they've  been
non directional,
normally they have  a two  tower array heading south.
The

Thank you Mr. Kiefer:

That is probably why I recall something about it Bill Kitychens was
involved.  I also know that Continental Solid them a 100 kW. Shortwave  transmitter
after Gene Scott got involved with the statiom.

I was told that they had bought four GE  50 kW AM transmitters and  were
planning to combine all four for 200 kW. which would exceed thr Rio  agreement.  I
assume the cost of operation of the GE transmitters in power,  parts and
maintenance were the reason the Nautel was purchased. But were the  GE's every
placed on the air at 50 kW.?

It is my recollection the Trans World Radio on 800 kHz. dropped the
Continental 500 kW transmitter many years back and has a BBC transmitter.   I don't
recall the power.  Is the old Continental 100 kW. plate modulated  short wave
still operating in Bon Aire?

Dave Hultsman