[BC] RE: 10 kHz spacing / 9 kHz Receiver

Paul Smith W4KNX paul
Wed Jul 5 07:50:09 CDT 2006

My bet is that your existing car radio can swing both ways.  You just need
to find out how to put it in test mode in order to make the changes.
Sometimes these are posted on internet news groups.

Paul Smith
Sarasota, FL

----- Original Message -----
From: "Tom Taggart" <tpt at eurekanet.com>
To: <broadcast at radiolists.net>
Sent: Monday, July 03, 2006 7:28 PM
Subject: [BC] RE: 10 kHz spacing / 9 kHz Receiver

> Rachel, I would pick up a small portable for general listening that you
can stash in a small bag, and worry about a car or table radio once you're
settled in on the other side of the pond. The less you have to carry around,
the more pleasant your trip will be. Indeed, if you are going to spend
several months in Europe at one place, may be easier to ship heavy coats and
clothes separately & just bring a carry-on on your flight.

> Given the universality of car designs anymore, the first trick would be to
find a car with a dash that would allow the installation of an after-market
car radio. I suppose you could check out models that are sold both here and
in Europe, such as the Ford Focus, Volvo S-40, Honda Civic, or the VW line
(interesting point: they make a lot of VW's in Mexico because they can ship
tariff free to both North America and the EU) & buy something like a
Blaupunkt which would have a jumper or internal switch for 9/10 spacing.
But then you have to haul it over there, and what's the point? You could buy
the same radio in Europe.

> Any table radio would have to be 220, so, again, what's the point?  Buy
something over there. If you found something really nice, but expensive,
that you liked, you could always ship it home by UPS or DHL. It's probably
made in China anyway, and can be converted to 110 by changing transformer
taps, lopping off the 220 plug, and buying a 110 plug for $2.19 at a
hardware store in LA.