[BC] Re: Carribean 200 kW. AM on 1605 kHz.

Larry Fuss lfuss2
Tue Jul 4 17:57:10 CDT 2006

> Australia/New Zealand did, however, sometime between 1980 and 1981, and
that's why our protectorates in the South Pacific are on the 9 kHz scheme.

We only have one "protectorate" in the South Pacific - American Samoa.

Guam and Saipan, as well as the State of Hawaii, are NORTH of the equator
and
are therefore in the North Pacific.  Stations in Hawaii all operate on
channels
that are 10 kHz spaced, but Guam and Saipan use 9 kHz spacing.

A bit of history:

Prior to 1981, WVUV was on 1120.  In 1980, an application was filed to move
650.  That was amended to 648 in early '81 when the 9 kHz scheme was adopted
in the South Pacific.  The CP for 648 was granted on 10/13/81.  The station
never had a decent signal on 648 due to a very short and inefficient tower.
Top-loading was implemented, but did not help.  We currently have an
application
pending to move to 720 kHz and will be building a totally new facility.

WVUV is the furthest west "W" call in the U.S. and is the only remaining W
call
in the Pacific.  (There were several during and after WWII, but all except
WVUV
are gone now).

Larry Fuss