[BC] GE Superadio III vs. IBOC hash

Kevin Tekel amstereoexp
Tue Jul 4 16:25:09 CDT 2006

Mike McCarthy wrote:
> Once again Kevin, you show how narrow your view is on the matter.  It's
> the same public which forced the car radio people to narrow the passband
> of the current day receivers who will return the SR III to the retailer
> saying the signal is noisy 4 or more channels over in wideband mode.
> THAT's not an abuse of the mask.  It's a nice broad RX which doesn't
> have the space or price point to include a better "wideband" filter.
> And whose day is passing...unfortunately.  But true.

So what is your point?  There are also countless people driving around
with wideband AM Stereo radios in their vehicle's dashboard, and they're
going to hear the same hiss on IBOC stations.  And some of these people
have already complained about it -- but from what I have seen, most of
these complaints are directed toward the station(s) responsible for the
hiss, not toward the company which built the radio or vehicle.  Some IBOC
stations invite listeners to submit their feedback, good or bad, regarding
how the IBOC is affecting their analog reception, like this:

http://www.wor710.com/Engineering/iboc/hdform.htm

Anyway, I think you're trying to say that wideband receivers like the
Superadio III are faulty because they aren't compatible with IBOC.  On the
other hand, you could also say that IBOC is faulty because it isn't
compatible with wideband receivers -- especially since at this point the
number of wideband receivers in the marketplace is still several orders of
magnitude greater than the number of IBOC receivers.

p.s. I also have a documented instance of an AM radio listener complaining
to their electric utility company about "power line noise" which actually
turned out to be IBOC hash from a local AM station.