[BC] Shulke's Black Box

John Buffaloe johnbuffaloe
Tue Jul 4 10:36:36 CDT 2006

-----Original Message-----
From: broadcast-bounces at radiolists.net
[mailto:broadcast-bounces at radiolists.net] On Behalf Of Rich Wood
Sent: Tuesday, July 04, 2006 10:06 AM
To: Broadcasters' Mailing List
Subject: Re: [BC] Shulke's Black Box

"Today I hear so much distortion, excessive processing and horrible
segues that I'm amazed anyone owns a radio anymore. Unfortunately,
much of that comes from the original program source - the CD."

The segues are from the automation.  There is generally no consistency among
the many people that load the music as to where the segue point is placed.
Few stations actually have someone firing the next element.  FM 94/9 in San
Diego actually requires their air staff to use the Enco as a true live
assist so they can control the segs. With modern processing you can do
extreme damage to the audio in the name of loudness.  It takes days to find
the sweet spot, if not weeks.

"I'll bet that, if the SRP format still existed, Jim would use vinyl.
With plug-ins for de-popping (removing pops, clicks and scratches)
there's no more need to spend hours on a single cut with a razor
blade."

No thanks.  Some of that junk vinyl you threw at me actually gave me
tendonitis from having to make so many splices.

John A. Buffaloe
Bext, Inc
619-685-3919