[BC] Shulke's Black Box

Dana Puopolo dpuopolo
Tue Jul 4 09:20:48 CDT 2006

I have a funny Irv story to tell...

Irv came to my station (WLKW) in 1982, and was blown away by our sound. We had
the best equipment available...Collins/Autogram console loaded with those
Henry module updates (diff in and diff out), customized rebuilt Optimod 8000
(by Grady), Moseley composite STL with AFC mods, BE FX-30 exciter, SWA tape
preamps...the whole nine yards.

Then he wanted to go to the TX..where he saw the Sta Max composite clipper in
line...

Enough said?

-D

------ Original Message ------
From: DHultsman5 at aol.com
To: broadcast at radiolists.net
Subject: Re: [BC] Shulke's Black Box

In a message dated 7/3/2006 9:08:23 PM Central Daylight Time,
richwood at pobox.com writes:

That'll  be tough. Even Jim's Black Box is no match for those digital
artifacts.  The wire used was analog.

&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&

The transient and peak response of analogue wire vs. that of oxygen free
digital wire is really worth the extra bucks I have been told.  ??

I will say that Irv Joel, after Cox bought Schulke,  was involved in  many of

Cox Radio's radio purchases.  A station was purchasing a 10 kW. AM
transmitter from us and the one stipulation was that we had to get rid of the
Peerless
input transformer in the audio input to the box.

The sales guys had been trying to get this changed at for some time since
both the "Power Rock" and the 317C-2,  50 kW. already had differential
inputs.
What we had been trying to change for a few years got changed in  the product

when Cox sent in the formal request with an order.

I recall many station engineers telling me they had to modify their  consoles

to remove any of the cheap balancing transformers on the their consoles  to
solve the problem of core saturation on audio peaks in  the transformers.

Probably the one thing a Schulke station did was to point out that FM could
once again have a good technical sound, that reproduced the music without all

the artifacts of heavy processing and clipping and still remain commerically

salable.

I recall a good friend of mine that after he received a new 8200 one year
programmed it for no processing except for peak limiting on December 25th each

year.  He was once again amazed at how well the station sounded, on the 24
hours of Christmas, with minimal processing.  He ran a couple of Schulke
stations at one time.

Dave