[BC] 10 kHz spacing / 9 kHz Receiver

Bailey, Scott SBailey
Mon Jul 3 15:13:02 CDT 2006

At one time, they were selling a Sony portable radio for 16.00 with
decent AM bandwidth.  I looked for it yesterday there, and they didn't
have it.  Guess I'm going to have to drive 20 miles to Radio Shack.  The
one in Gallatin has closed forever!

I heard Radio Shack was closing over 400 stores, nationwide!

Scott

-----Original Message-----
From: broadcast-bounces at radiolists.net
[mailto:broadcast-bounces at radiolists.net] On Behalf Of WFIFeng at aol.com
Sent: Monday, July 03, 2006 2:55 PM
To: broadcast at radiolists.net
Subject: Re: [BC] 10 kHz spacing / 9 kHz Receiver

In a message dated 07/03/2006 3:44:39 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
SBailey at nespower.com writes:

>    Have you seen any decent AM radios at Wal-Mart that has decent
>  bandwidth on AM?  I need a monitor for the home stereo and I thought
>  there may be one they have that has half-way decent bandwidth, and
>  doesn't sound like a Delco Car Radio, narrowed down to 4 KC!

The GE Superadio III is very good. (About $50. Radio Shack used to have
an
equivalent. Not sure if they still do.) It is actually *wider* than
10Khz, so at
night, you're going to hear the 10Khz heterodynes from the
moderate-to-strong
1'st adjacents. (An outboard 10khz notch filter will help.) Lord help
you if
the desired station is running (or is within 20Khz of) an IBUZ signal,
though.

The sensitivity in WIDE mode is reduced, so only signals that are >2mv
(estimated) are receivable that way. In Narrow mode, the sensitivity is
incredible.
I haven't measured mine against a Field Intensity Meter, but it's gotta
go
down into the 0.0x mv/m range. (Note to self: Next time I have the FIM,
do this.)

The other option would be to get ahold of an *older* AM radio (one that
uses
slug-tuned IF cans, *without* ceramic filters) and carefully
stagger-tune the
IF stages. (Generally, less than 1/4 turn to either side of "peak"
should be
enough.) It shouldn't take too much to get a reasonably clean
bandwidth/sensitivity tradeoff.

Willie...