[BC] Daytimer's woes

Bailey, Scott SBailey
Mon Jul 3 08:13:00 CDT 2006

Willie,
   The answer would be, to sell as much property as possible, and only
keep enough land to have a good "community signal". My deed calls for
2.6 acres, and my idea is (since I'm non-directional, and on the high
end of the band) is to have my building & tower, all on one acre.
   OK, that's great, but here is the kicker. Some people are so "hung
up" on Maxwell's theory of this big, huge, ground system, that they
think I really need. Well with the ground conductivity here so bad,
what's the point of why I should do 120 radials, 160' long?  It will do
me no good on this rocky, limestone piece of land I have!
   Kevin Kidd on this list will argue with me on this point (nothing
against him personally, he's a real nice gentleman), but I realize it's
his business to put in AM ground systems, but my argument is in Northern
TN, some property that towers sit on are so bad with terrible ground
conductivity, there is no point for all that copper sitting out there,
waiting to be stolen by the gangs and drug lords, and it does my signal
no good, just a waste of money! And what's so terrible, some of them
live down the street from the station!
   Once again, I want to have everything on one acre, if possible.  My
tower is not a guyed tower, but a pirod self supporter. I thought about
doing a counterpoise ground, and have it fenced in, to keep the gangs
and drug lords out. But as on the other hand, they are so desperate for
cocaine, they will do anything to take that copper!
   I do know with my tower the way it is, and being on 1560, I can build
an antenna system to meet FCC minimum efficiency standards for a Class
D, daytimer.

Scott