[BC] Cascading Algorithms

John Buffaloe johnbuffaloe
Sun Jul 2 21:33:30 CDT 2006

OK.  Let's face the facts like real men.  Nobody under 30 (with the
exception of a few MIT engineering students) gives a crap any more about
audio quality.  All of us GEB's (of which Rich Wood is the Golden Ear Lobe
winner) are dinosaurs.  Audio quality has given way to convenience in
dragging around three thousand songs data bit mashed to hell so we can have
our entire libraries of songs we're sick of anyway available to us while we
visit the terlit on our 757 from Poughdunk to Sausagelito.  It's important
that we have these devices because everyone else that has a Donna Karan suit
has one too.  The difficulty is in fitting the Blue Tooth earpiece under the
Bose noise canceling headphones so that we can actually hear the phone call
and the right channel at the same time.  That is of course if you happen to
be right eared, but that's another topic and I digress.

Look back at the efforts we used to make to have the best studios, the best
monitoring, the best home systems, the best tube amplifiers, or whatever,
and look at the modern user that just wants convenience and what they want
when and where they want it.  I had the best sounding radio station in San
Diego running uncompressed CD's through an uncompressed digital STL with
processing sans clipping.  The PD decided to run compressed live assist
automation so the jocks could take more phone calls.  There was a marked
difference (loss) in the audio quality, but I'm just another old GEB.

Today, it's about convenient gizmos.  They don't have to sound the best,
they only have to fulfill the need for instant gratification.  It ain't
about the quality of the audio folks.  If it was, manufacturers would be
touting the latest full spectrum audio linear devices and selling them by
the boodle.  Seen one lately in your local "Tweeter?"

It defies logic to me, but so does the popularity of Rap and Hip Hop.

All of this reduced data stuff is crap packaged as perfume.  And the
multitudes are shelling out for it.  Not IBOC, but iPods, Sirius, XM, cell
phone MP3 players, ad nauseum.  Fine.  That's what they want, then give it
to them then go home and hug your kids.  Maybe they'll awaken to the
swinging pendulum and demand more when they hear what good audio sounds like
in the never ending game of "gadgets."

Sorry.  I think I had one glass of wine too many.

John A. Buffaloe
Bext, Inc.
1-888-BEXTINC