[BC] AudioVault, Now Cascading Algorithms

Dana Puopolo dpuopolo
Sun Jul 2 19:09:20 CDT 2006

Well, with 300 gigabyte serial ATA drives seling for under 100 bucks, why
would you want or need to perceptual code. Besides, there's also lossless
systems like FLAC, which reduce space by 50% on average.

-D

------ Original Message ------
From: Tom Bosscher <tom at bosscher.org>
Subject: Re: [BC] AudioVault, Now Cascading Algorithms

Powell,

    I could not agree with you more. This whole MP3 thing has caused
considerable damage to my head, as I bang it slowly against the wall.

    Any radio station who is now recording their music, and actually
commercial, liners, promos et all into ANYONES hard drive system, using
any form of digital compression,  is very short sited. Yes, I have 128
and 256 kbps MP3's on my CPU at work, and they sound great. But as you
pointed out Powell, it is all about cascading algorithms. A CD, recorded
down to a 128 kbps MP3, played on a high quality FM station will sound,
not bad. Better than XM or Sirius. But run that audio through a bit
compressed STL, and then IBOC, and you have problems.

    Here is where I would like to give out an "Atta Boy".

    Like most stations, we noticed the record labels wanted to send us
their new releases via the Internet. Cool. But for reasons no one can
explain, they insist on sending the songs as MP3's. WCSG in Grand Rapids
refused to air them. Among the various methods, there is a company
called Promo MPE, who has one very cool system for downloading the
songs, and keeping track of everything. However, they used some
proprietary encoding scheme. Two of my younger announcers could tell the
difference between this coded song, and the song directly on the CD.  So
we refused to use this system. I wrote my PD an email explaining why
this system was not acceptable to us. He forwarded the email to Promo MPE.

    Amazingly, I got a call from Promo MPE. Great I thought, they are
going to rip on me that "why should you care, others take our feeds?"
That wasn't the case. One very knowledgeable person named Dean Ernst
emailed and phoned me several times, and I expressed why I had a
reservation. For the last ten years, every single song on our systems
has been dubbed into the HD system, using AES-EBU, with no compression,
digital or audio. 10.5 Megs per minute is the demand on the hard drives.
No problem, those are cheap.

    I explained to Dean that I was amused that while the record labels
are willing to send a CD in a special overnite envelope, costing them $
4 to 10 a crack. Now, they were complaining about an Internet bandwidth
cost of around 4 cents per song. Dean came back to me and asked if I
would accept the audio if it was compressed using FLAC (Forward Lossless
Audio Codec). Along with others, we beta tested the new player. This
system sounded right (my young announcers could not tell the
difference), and "decoded" FLAC file shows the 10.5 megs per minute.

    In this day of corporations who just want to keep lowering the
standards, I have to congratulate Promo MPE for a job well done.
Delivering the songs via the net is the future, but there is no reason
to lower the quality standards. An artist will use a recording studio
worth millions, and then the label wants to kick the song out as an MP3.
If that goes to your MP3 or Ipod player, that is fine, but just don't
try to transcode again. I wrote quite a diatribe against the lossy
codecs use from the labels. But again, my hats is off to Dean and his
company. As a side note, he once caught one record label, who emailed
them a song that sounded really wrong. Turns out someone encoded an MP3,
then converted that back to a WAV file and sent it in. For a major
release. What was that record company thinking?

    Powell, thank you bringing this up. If there is ANY radio station
who thinks that digitally compressed is OK for their station, let them
put that station in my market, and our stations will win every time.
They can have their MP3's on the air.

I'll take my straight!

Tom Bosscher
DE Cornerstone University