[BC] phone misuse ...

mark@shander.com mark
Sun Jul 2 05:01:44 CDT 2006

Soliciting calls to a wireless phone could happen for a number of
reasons.

One possible reason is that a phone number, now assigned to a wireless
phone, was ported from a landline phone.

Some dialers are still loaded with a range of numbers within a
particular prefix that are assumed to all be landline numbers.  With
Local Number Portability, those assumptions are no longer always
correct.

A call received from a toll-free number at increments of 20 minutes is
likely to be from older equipment or malfunctioning equipment.  Newer
equipment will rarely dial out if it is not able to assign the call to
a live person within a certain number of seconds after a call is
answered, and if it can't, it will play a recording identifying the
source of the call, the reason for the call, and that an attempt will
be made at a future date to connect the call correctly.  Some equipment
will permit an opt-out from the recipient at that time.

Some wireless carriers will work with you to identify the source of the
call and they will proactively assist in making sure that company
removes your number if you're unable to reach the company by calling
back to the number on the caller ID and requesting that they not call
you.

One wireless carrier consistently takes legal action against companies
that call its customers and telemarkets.

Regards,

Mark