[BC] Do not call list

Alan Kline akline
Sun Jul 2 01:13:17 CDT 2006

------ At 12:21 AM 7/2/2006 -0400, The Most Honourable Xen Scott wrote: -------
>Verizon offers call intercept to reject calls with invalid or anonymous
>numbers which helps filter telemarketers to some extent.  Verizon also
>offers call blocking of specific numbers but this doesn't seem to work
>with telemarketers apparently because business numbers are exempt.

Same thing with Qwest...all of the numbers I wanted to block were
"not available".  So, I "rolled my own"... (see below)

>My best solution, although not perfect, is to use a Radio Shack model
>400 caller ID box which has the ability to reject any call from a list
>of numbers created by the user.  The limitation is that the phone has
>to ring twice before the model 400 can identify the call as being on
>the reject list and play the reject message.  It also means that the
>telemarketing calls aren't rejected until the number being used is
>added to the reject list.
>
>A better solution would be to allow the caller ID box to reject any
>call from a designated area code and prefix.

I recently had a problem with a collection agency coming after
me about an account that had been settled years ago (don't ask...)
Naturally, the Qwest call-blocking service wouldn't work with that
number.

So, I Googled "call-blocking software", and found a software package
that is primarily a voice-mail program, but allows blocking of calls
by specific numbers, or any combination of wild-cards.

In this case, I figured that the agency which was calling me probably
had a block of numbers in the same exchange, so I told the program
to block "777-555-12??".  Anything between 1200 and 1299 will then
be blocked.

The program offers several options for blocking. The first is to
simply hang up the call without any outgoing announcement.  Second
is an announcement, then hang up.  I like "The mailbox is full."
Third option plays the telco SIT sound and the authentic "The number
you have dialed has been disconnected...". Gen-yoo-ine Bell System
recording--Jane Barbie herself...

On top of that, one can use the caller-ID recognition in the program
to customize outgoing messages for specific numbers--my wife and I
have special messages for our parents and siblings, and my CE got
a kick out of it when he called once, and the computer answered with
a message that starts off with our news bumper music.   Took a little
time playing with Audition, but it was worth it...  It also offers
up to ten separate mailboxes, so I set up separate boxes for my wife
and myself.  The cats, however, have to share one.

The program was about $30, and I had to purchase a voice-enabled
modem. (And then later I found out that I had to reinstall my old
modem since my fax program won't talk to the new modem...)

It's worked very well for us.

ak