[BC] Re: TIS facilities

Patrick Griffith, N0NNK / WPE9HVW AM-DXer
Sat Jul 1 02:00:33 CDT 2006

There's no way a Valcom antenna has gain. I'd believe 40 watts TPO and
10 watts ERP, but certainly not the other way around.
-------
Dana, I don't have a problem believing that a 60 foot top loaded Valcom
would exhibit superior radiation compared to one of the typical 15 foot
center loaded TIS whips. In this case the FCC apparently expressed that
as gain. And, as I mentioned, the TIS database does provide a field for
ERP. For background, the State of Colorado previously had a series of a
half dozen or so 10-watt TIS stations located adjacent to each major
artery at the point where it entered the suburban Denver metro area.
These provided virtually no coverage in the central Denver area. And,
when the programming changed, each had to be reprogrammed independently.
The centrally located "40 watt" TIS replaced all of those. The higher
power rating is intended to provide coverage over the entire Denver
metro area from a single site - about a 12 to 15 mile radius from the
transmitter.

Patrick Griffith, N0NNK
CBT CBNT CRO
Westminster CO