[BC] Legal ID Question

Rich Wood richwood
Thu Aug 31 12:31:58 CDT 2006

------ At 12:06 PM 8/31/2006, Jeff Allen wrote: -------

>Programming that should not be interrupted might be a ball game or other
>live broadcast that an ID would interrupt.  The FCC seemed to leave it up to
>you to decide what would qualify as programming that should not be
>interrupted.  We do IDs during ball games and such anyway.

I doubt a ball game would qualify. They interrupt for spots, promos
and scores of other games regularly. A two word ID wouldn't destroy
the integrity of the game

>I swear I saw the same rule about doing the ID within two minutes of the top
>of the hour.  It's been the standard rule at all the stations I've worked
>and still is at the group I'm with now.

Some stations still abide by the NAB code. Others ignore even the
law. I know there was a rule with a window for the ID. I think it was
changed to something like "an appropriate break in programming." As I
said, a music Pop music segment doesn't qualify as uninterruptable.

>The idea here for adding the extra cities along with our COL was to let
>listeners know they can listen to our stations from Boise to Twin Falls
>which is a 120+ mile drive, not because "it sounds cool" to have them in our
>ID.  I have heard many stations bury the COL then shout the nearest big city
>in the ID.  I doubt that would be legal.

I've checked this in the past for clients and affiliates. What you
say (so long as it isn't feelthy) within the hour is OK. You can
claim to serve Juneau from Boston. However, the top of the hour ID is
rigid. Call letters and COL as displayed on your license. There are
very few variations allowed.

Rich

Rich Wood
Rich Wood Multimedia