[BC] Yet another HD ... XM HD

RokprtMike@aol.com RokprtMike
Wed Aug 30 12:59:56 CDT 2006

In a message dated 8/29/2006 7:48:17 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
broadcast-request at radiolists.net writes:

>Why  do companies like Clear Channel and CBS still insist on "blowing
>up"  stations, rather than moving heritage (but allegedly
>under-billing)  formats over to the secondary HD channels, and
>promoting this for a few  weeks in advance so listeners have the
>opportunity to buy HD  receivers?

>The "Smooth Jazz" format on WJJZ here in Phialdelphia  was "blown up" a
>few weeks ago in favor of mediocre AC, but it took CC  three weeks to
>realize that it might make sense to retain the old  format on WJJZ's
>HD-2 channel.  Meanwhile, the damage has been  done -- see listener
>comments on this page:

It makes little sense to me. Who is it HD is supposed to appeal to? The
people that actually listen to the primary feeds of a station are being forced  to
go out and purchase an HD radio and how many will?

The younger generations, who are supposed to be tech savvy don't  even listen
to radio. Broadcasters are trying to court younger  listeners that really
aren't prepared to give up there I-Pods or Satellite for  terrestrial. Why not
try to correct what caused them to leave in the first  place?

Why not try to program the HD channels to the younger generation  similar to
FM in the very early days?

Why aren't there any "Underground Radio" channels on HD? They have it
backwards.

Mike Hemeon - CPBE