[BC] Verizon-style warranties

Reader reader
Tue Aug 29 16:55:51 CDT 2006

A WARRANTY REPLACEMENT, VERIZON-STYLE

A pattern seems to be emerging in the gripes I'm hearing about Verizon. A
few weeks ago (see Verizon Never Stops Lying to You) a cell phone
customer had promised free minutes snatched away when he needed them.
Now we hear from a Verizon broadband customer whose troubles began when
a DSL modem went bad while under warranty. See if you can spot the
common thread.

"In the summer of 2004 we signed up for Verizon DSL in our computer
shop," the reader wrote.  "We received a new DSL modem as part of the
package we purchased, paying higher rates of course for the DSL service
because we had a 'business' account. We had trouble with the modem from
time to time, and eventually contacted Verizon while their modem was
still under warranty.  Verizon kept insisting the problem was with the
DSL line or service, and even sent a technician to our place of business
to check the lines.  This runaround went on for several months, during
which the modem went out of warranty. Eventually Verizon admitted that
the modem was defective, and agreed to send us a new one for no charge
even though it was out of warranty, because we had reported the problem
within the warranty period."

In December 2005 the reader received the ...

http://newsletter.infoworld.com/t?r=314&ctl=13B6107:C80470508B46A679B39FB0D8413866A1EFF29049075316B4