[BC] The City of License

Kent Winrich kwinrich
Mon Aug 28 15:48:59 CDT 2006

On 8/28/06, <mailto:FrankGott at aol.com>FrankGott at aol.com
<<mailto:FrankGott at aol.com>FrankGott at aol.com> wrote:
In a message dated 8/28/2006 10:51:34 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
<mailto:kwinrich at gmail.com>kwinrich at gmail.com writes:

<< Seriously.... how does a station serve its COL when it says the city then
goes on to program for the whole area?  It sounds like the station is
serving the PEOPLE by broadcasting to the area.  How is that not serving the
people?  People outside of the COL are people too.  And they are being
served, no?  Or should stations just be forced to only program to the COL? >>

News/public affairs programming focuses on the target city, not the city of
license.

Typically news for one city may effect others as well.  To focus on
only one city IMHO is really not serving the community.  Many people
live in one town, work in another.  They are interested in news and
information for the whole area.  (well at least I and my aquaintances are)

For example... one of our stations is a full Class C (100kW 2000'),
yet it is licensed to a city of about 10,000.  Does that mean that we
should only focus on that city?  Or should we be able to cover news
from the whole region?  Who decides this?  The FCC?

I am not trying to pick a fight, just expressing my opinion.

Music formatting also may not reflect the taste of the city of license.

Again, who decides this?  Who says that a certain type of music must
be played for a city?  Or do we try to mass appeal to as many
regional residents as possible?  Perhaps the average age of a city is
60.  Does that mean every station needs to play Music of your Life?