[BC] Gotta be "funny" ... no matter what.

Reader reader
Mon Aug 28 10:23:54 CDT 2006

Barry,

Perhaps Conan O'Brien should join Mel Gibson and Tom Cruise on the
Group W bench.

Tom

Emmys plane-crash spoof left LEX 18 manager 'horrified'
By
<http://www.kentucky.com/mld/kentucky/entertainment/television/15378425.htm?source=rss&channel=kentucky_television>Jamie
Gumbrecht
HERALD-LEADER

LEX 18 News ended an evening recap of yesterday's coverage of the
Comair Flight 5191 crash for the live broadcast of the prime-time
Emmy Awards. The annual TV awards show opened with shots of host
Conan O'Brien bouncing inside a plane before it crashed on an island
in a spoof of ABC's hit show Lost.

WLEX president and general manager Tim Gilbert, who was home watching
the telecast with his family, said he was "stunned" by the
introduction; if station managers had known about the intro before
the broadcast, Lexington viewers wouldn't have seen it, he said.

"It was a live telecast -- we were completely helpless," Gilbert said
of the Emmys. "By the time we began to react, it was over. At the
station, we were as horrified as they were at home."

He said he'll complain to NBC, but he said an apology won't make up
for insensitivity.

"They could have killed the opening and it wouldn't have hurt the
show at all," Gilbert said. "We wish somebody had thought this
through. It's somewhere between ignorance and incompetence."