[BC] Legal ID Question

DHultsman5@aol.com DHultsman5
Sun Aug 27 09:57:17 CDT 2006

In a message dated 8/26/2006 3:54:19 PM Central Daylight Time,
shnewman at alaweb.com writes:

> On  26 Aug 2006 at 13:32, Scott Fybush wrote:
>
>> It's been  done!
>>
>> KTVU, channel 2 in the San Francisco Bay Area,  was and is licensed to
>> Oakland. At some point in the sixties, it  changed its licensee name to
>> "San Francisco-Oakland Broadcasting."  The FCC didn't like it, but rules
>> are rules...
>
> So  how did they get around the legal requirement for the second "Oakland"
>  after the licensee name?

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Some folks at the city of Oakland,  or Chamber of Commerce used to  cause
alot of problems with stations.

One of the first $10,000.00 fines issued by the FCC was to then McLendon
owned KABL.  As I recall,  the ID was correct " KABL,  Oakland",  but in all the
music segues etc.,  the image was  "KABL,  (cable car bells clanging) In the
air over San Francisco".  I  think the "KABL, Oakland" may have been well
hidden,  but it was always  there + or - 2 minutes of the hour and half hour.

The original complain was filed by somone in Oakland stating that the
station was doing an illegal ID.   They presented some tapes  etc.   The Commission
issued the $10,000.00 fine.

They were upset with McLendon's antics and other markets also.  As a  matter
of harassment during this same time period the FCC notified the station  that
they would like to conduct a full audio proof of performance on the  stations
beginning at 12 midnight the next night, over 24 hours notice.   They didn't
get anything out of that.  My recollection was they got out of  the fine but
had to address more of the needs of Oakland the city of  license.

Dave Hultsman