[BC] Legal ID Question

Dale H. Cook radiotest
Sun Aug 27 06:45:44 CDT 2006

While we are on the subject, Section 73.1201 (2) requires that
station identification shall be made "Hourly, as close to the hour as
feasible, at a natural break in program offerings." Many station put
the ID in the last stop set of the hour, and run a jingle or liner at
or near the top of the hour. It has always seemed to me that such a
top-of-the-hour jingle or liner constitutes "a natural break in
program offerings" and that the ID should be run there to satisfy the
wording of 73.1201 (2).

Is such a top-of-the-hour jingle or liner considered part of the
"program offerings," whereas the previous stop set would be
considered "a natural break in program offerings?" Have there been
any Commission rulings or opinions, or actions by the Enforcement
Bureau, that would clarify this matter?

Dale H. Cook, Chief Engineer, Centennial Broadcasting,
Roanoke/Lynchburg, VA - WZZI / WZZU / WLNI / WLEQ
http://members.cox.net/dalehcook/starcity.shtml