[BC] IBOC Radios

Robert Orban rorban
Sat Aug 26 18:16:43 CDT 2006

At 01:57 PM 8/26/2006, you wrote:
>From: "Steve Newman" <shnewman at alaweb.com>
>Subject: Re: [BC] IBOC Radios
>
>Are you talking about KNBR at 680 (50Kw Non-D or KYCY (the old KKHI at 1550)
>with 10Kw 3-Tower on Hiway 101? Both are in Belmont. I'm just curious which
>one is doing what as far as IBOC is concerned. I know KNBR is sports, right?
>So you must be talking about KYCY at 1550. (San Francisco's first Top-40
>station KOBY!!) Now that frequency would be a mess at night. 1550 shoves
>most all of their power to the Northwest at night if I remember correctly.
>They come in great in Japan.  I believe they have a construction permit to
>go 50Kw.

It could be either or a combination of both that is overloading the BA's AM
front end. I haven't bothered to figure this out because it really doesn't
matter -- what matters is that the BA's front end should not be saturating
four miles from these stations.

The saturation only happens when I connect the BA's external AM antenna,
BTW. But I found that the internal antenna didn't have enough gain to get
*any* HD reception. As it is, the BA will lock onto KCBS's HD signal if I
rotate the external loop correctly. But it doesn't even receive 910 or 960
in analog (they are wiped out by the overload), let alone in digital.

Bob Orban